The 2018 Aspiring School Leaders Retreat will take place April 26-27 at the K-Bar-S Lodge in Keystone, SD.
The retreat affords attendees an opportunity to learn about leadership roles, reflect on their careers, and consider a pathway leading to administration. Its main purpose is to serve as a catalyst for ensuring adequate numbers of qualified school leaders in South Dakota.
- The retreat is provided free of charge! Lodging and meals will also be provided.
Districts are responsible for travel costs to and from the retreat and the costs of a substitute teacher.
- You must be nominated by a member of your school’s administration.
- Application deadline: March 16. Notification of acceptance: March 30.
- Max capacity: 30 participants.
- One graduate credit will be available for the retreat from the University of Sioux Falls for $40.
The application includes of the following essay questions:
1. Where do you see your career headed in the next five years?
2. What do you consider the highlights of your career in education so far?
3. What do you think is your major contribution to your school district?
4. Describe your activities in your local community.
5. Why do you want to be included in this program?
Questions can be directed to John Swanson at TIE – firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-394-1876.
Wednesday, April 25
- 4:00 – 8:00 PM – Arrival and Check-In at the K-Bar-S Lodge
Thursday, April 26
- 8:00 AM – Welcome, Introductions, and School Leadership Questions
- 10:00 AM – School Leaders Panel Discussion
- 1:00 PM – Leadership for Innovation
- 3:00 PM – Reading Assignments, Graduate Credit, and SASD Scholarships
Friday, April 27
- 8:00 AM – Are You Sure You’re the Principal? – A Guide for New and Aspiring Leaders
- 9:30 AM – Selling Yourself for School Leadership Positions
- 11:00 AM – A Conversation with SD Secretary of Education Don Kirkegaard
- 1:00 PM – Reflection, Graduation, and Closure
- 1:30 PM – Adjourn